Friday 8 May 2009

Martin O'neil

From: oneill@dircon.co.uk

Subject: Re: Just a couple of things

Date: 9 February 2009 16:01:11 GMT

Hi Dave,

Details for buying a book are below.

Unfortunately I'm not around those dates. Taking a well earned break. I also now live on the Coast in Hastings. So not in London.

In answer to your question regarding how I work, it’s a process where I refuse to let a digital aesthetic dominate or overwhelm. I strive to create collages in a purely analogue way, I do not resize images and apply filters, every detail has to be meticulously contemplated, chosen from my archive that I have been developing over several years. I feel this gives me something to kick against and react to. Composing found images on a computer can be immensely powerful but in many respects it still struggles to replicate the intuitive fluidity of physically making a collage, tipping out draws full of images – making connections and links between the elements, fighting for hierarchy and prominence, searching for missing bits that will compliment, repel or contrast.

Good luck, a career in Illustration takes a lot of hard work and determination, but is very rewarding when things go well.

All the best,

Martin

Books are £10 plus £2 pnp to a UK address.

Please send a cheque payable to Martin O’Neill to:

Martin O’Neill

Cut it Out Ltd.

9 Marine Court

St. Leonards on Sea

East Sussex

TN34 3LH

UK

Can you also include a sticker or piece of paper with your name and address clearly on it. If you havent got a chequebook, let me know and I can arrange for an alternative payment method.

Many thanks,

Martin. 0142 444 1972

On 06/02/2009 13:59, "David Mercer" <mercerism@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello Martin,

I have a couple of questions and a big favour to ask. first off I would love to purchase your recently published book Dogs and Dice, the website I found it on told me to contact you directly. Secondly myself and 3 friends are budding Illustrators from Manchester. We are taking a 3 day trip to London on the 3rd to the 5th of march. I was wondering if you could ever so kindly take some time out of your busy schedule and meet with us to discuss and give us insight into your design making process and maybe take a look at our portfolios. This would be very informal and a great help for some Illustrators inexperienced with the professional world.

Lastly I’m currently writing a personal journal, in the journal there will be an on going discussion about hand made illustration over computer generated imagery. I understand that the work you do is so far removed from the computer that you don’t even resize your found imagery, its amazing that you can fight the urge to enhance certain things digitally. I was wondering if you could elaborate on why you stick to such practices without giving in to temptation?

yours faithfully,

Dave Mercer.

No comments: